Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Lydia's Mac and Cheese

January 21, 2012
This morning I woke up to a sudden feeling of wanting to cook something up for breakfast. I have never, I repeat, never cooked my own meal in my entire life before. So I came upon this website where they have posted up a recipe of macaroni and cheese from scratch. But since I don’t have the complete ingredients at home, I sort of improvise by using other ingredients of my own.

Ingredients:
  • 8 cups of water (1 cup = 240mL)
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 2 cups uncooked macaroni
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
  • 1 teaspoon corn starch
  • 2 teaspoons flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • ½ teaspoon lemon juice (I used squeezed-Sunkist orange as an alternative)
  • 2 slices of chopped smoked beef
Directions:
  1. Mix corn starch and grated cheese in a bowl.
  2. In a saucepan, boil water and add salt. Add macaroni and cook through. When cooked, drain water from saucepan. Place in bowl.
  3. In a larger saucepan, melt butter and add flour. Slowly pour milk and stir thoroughly until sauce is smooth. While stirring, add grated cheese. Then add some chopped smoked beef. Last but not least, pour lemon juice (or in my case, squeezed-Sunkist) and stir.
  4. When sauce is prepared, add the drained macaroni and mix thoroughly.
  5. Voila! In addition, you may sprinkle some black pepper or salt to your mac and cheese.
Number of Servings: 4


Not bad for a first attempt huh? Plus it tasted good. Starting today I'm gonna try to cook using several different recipes and make a good chef outta myself. Wish me luck! :)

No comments: