Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Mom's Dedication


I'm a fan of books therefore I collect books. But I'm definitely not qualified as a book collector YET. Back when I was 4, I always dreamt of having an enormous library with great selections of books in my own home. All this was inspired by Disney's Beauty and the Beast. "It's funny, dear.Your father and I would take you to Toys 'R Us but you always end up being in the book section rather than the toys section itself. You didn't even know how to read, so you only flipped pages to look at the illustrations.", said my Mom. My family was not much of readers, but they always have this urge to buy more books. My dad collects law books but only reads them once in a while. Though he does read the newspaper daily. My mom collects cook books, arts and handicrafts book and such, but barely reads them at all. She says "You might need it one day." And as for my brother, he doesn't like reading so I won't discuss that any further.

As I graduated from high school, my house got renovated and my mom created a room as I'd first called an I-dont-know-what-to-call-this room. "Look, I turned this room into a library. Just like you wanted!", she said happily. I was like whoa. Astonishingly this room does not look close to any library in any particular. She provided two huge glass shelves with all my books stacked ready to be read. But on one side, the tv was there along with the stereo and another huge glass shelves full of cds, dvds, and vhs tapes. Library, huh? It looks more like a family room with an addition of shelves filled with books. The room looked small and packed. And I thought a library was a place where there should be no talking or worst, no sound?
I also had difficulties sorting the books into each categories. There were the fiction and non-fiction and there's still more to what's under those two. More books were also bought but up until this day I haven't got a chance to read them. All because I was 2-hours away and seldomly visit my home.

I did and I still do appreciate my mom's effort in making my dreams come true. Library in my own home.
Thanks, I Love You Mom.

No comments: